Help Center
Click to Home

Go To Search


 The Clerk's office cannot help you with preparing or correcting your file.
 It is illegal. Va Code 19.2-392.2

If your divorce is UNCONTESTED and there are NO MINOR CHILDREN you may use the samples and self help guide. You must complete all information on the required forms.

To obtain a divorce in Virginia: 
a. Either you or your spouse must be a resident of Virginia for at least six months prior to filing for divorce. 
b. There can be no minor children from the marriage. 
c. You must be separated for a minimum of six months. 
d. You must have a written Property Settlement Agreement. 

1). Complete:  Complaint.

2). Complete: Coversheet For Filing Civil Actions (checking Divorce in the 2nd column under the Domestic/Family Heading)

4). Initially File: Civil Coversheet, 1 original Complaint and 1 original Property Settlement Agreement.
5.) The filing fee is $91.00. 

***Below paperwork must be dated and filed at least one day after filing Coversheet, Complaint and Property Settlement Agreement.***

6). Complete and file: VS-4 (Form available at the Clerk’s office upon request)

7). Complete and file: Defendant’s Waiver of Notice and Service of Process
         *Please ensure that you fill out this form completely and correctly. Failure to do so may result in your divorce being               denied.

10). Complete and file: Proposed Final Decree.

11). Adult Name Change submitted with divorce requires a separate Application, Order and $21.00 filing fee.  This may be filed up to 21 days after the divorce is finalized.

*All copies, certified or not, of criminal and civil case records will be sent to you by email.  Our office no longer mails paper copies.

* Please note that this is not legal advice or representation. Any questions regarding the Divorce process, forms, and their completion should be directed to an attorney. The Clerk’s office is prohibited from offering legal advice. (Code 19.2-392.2).

Divorces may be searched by you in our public records room located in the Fredericksburg Circuit Court Clerk's Office, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.

Virginia Legal Aid  is a site that further explains uncontested divorces and has an interactive guide to help you better understand the divorce process. 

You may also want to review the Code of Virginia for additional guidance. 

Payment of filing and copy fees may be made by cash, personal check, money order or, with a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card. Make checks payable to: Clerk of Court. Effective July 1, 2012, the following service fees will apply if using a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card: The service fee for charges $50.00 and under will be $2.00. The service fee for charges over $50.00 will be assessed at 4%.