Help Center
Click to Home

Go To Search

Name Change
To obtain a Name Change: 

    **Adult Name Change submitted with divorce requires a separate Application, Order and $21.00 filing fee.  This may be     filed up to 21 days after the divorce is finalized.
 The Clerk's office cannot help you with preparing or correcting your file.
 It is illegal. Va Code 19.2-392.2

    1. Adult Name Change: 
            a. Petitioner must live in the 22401 zip code 

     2. Minor Name Change: 
            a. Petitioner must live in the 22401 zip code 
            b. *Both parents must sign Application 
                    *If both parents are unable to sign: you must Notice a Hearing

Name Change Procedures: 

    1. Complete: 
            a. Adult Name Change:
                    1. Application For Adult Name Change
                    2. Order For Change of Name Adult
                    3. Coversheet For Filing Civil Actions (check Name Change in 3rd column under Miscellaneous heading) 

            b. Minor Name Change:
                    1. Application for Minor Name Change
                    2. Order For Change of Name Minor
                    3. Coversheet For Filing Civil Actions (check Name Change in 3rd column under Miscellaneous heading) 

    2. Filing Procedures at Clerk's Office:
            a. Pay filing fee: $46.00
            b. Submit completed paperwork  

Payment of filing and copy fees may be made by cash, personal check, money order or, with a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card. Make checks payable to: Clerk of Court. Effective July 1, 2012, the following service fees will apply if using a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card: The service fee for charges $50.00 and under will be $2.00. The service fee for charges over $50.00 will be assessed at 4%.

*Please note that this is not legal advice or representation. Any questions regarding the Name change process, forms, and their completion should be directed to an attorney. The Clerk’s office is prohibited from offering legal advice. (Code 19.2-392.2). 

Helpful Hints 
Once your name change is granted, begin using the new name immediately. 

Social Security:  Complete Social Security Administration Form SS-5 and either mail it or take it to your nearest Social Security office. Include a certified copy of your Name Change Order. There is no fee for filing Form SS-5. You should receive your new social security card within four weeks, and your social security number will not change. (More information about changing your social security records.) 

Driver's License:  Bring your driver's license, social security card and a certified copy of your Name Change Order to any office of the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is a $5 fee for a new driver's license card. 

Voter Registration:  Notify the Registrar's Office of your name change. 

Personal Property:  Notify the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office of your name change within 30 days. 

Address Changes:  If you will also be changing your address, don't forget to notify the Registrar's Office, the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office, the U. S. Postal Service with the USPS Change of Address Form and the Internal Revenue Service with IRS Form 8822. 

Other:  Don't forget to notify other agencies, businesses and associates that your name has changed.

Fredericksburg Seal Intranet Access