Food and Vendors

• Can I serve food at my event?
Yes. The City of Fredericksburg Fire Department has Cooking Regulations and a Temporary Activity Permit that must be completed for all food vendors using propane. Please also check with the Rappahannock Health Department for guidelines on catering your event.

• How do I contact the Health Department?
Individuals, organizations, and/or businesses planning to sell or serve food at a public event in the Rappahannock Health District must apply for a temporary event permit at least ten (10) days prior to the event. Large special events (10 vendors or more) must submit the Temporary Event Coordinators Application to the Local Health Department thirty (30) days prior to the event.

Each participating vendor will need to submit a Complete Temporary Event Application to the local Health Department along with the Temporary Event Application fee of $40.

More information can be found at:

• Am I allowed to have food trucks at my event?
Yes, they are allowed as long as they are attached to an event and have a current inspection from the Fredericksburg Fire Marshall and a City of Fredericksburg business license.

• Do my vendors need to have a business license issued by the City of Fredericksburg?
Yes. If you are using multiple caterers/vendors you may wish to file for an Organized Event Application. This is for the ORGANIZER of the event, the minimum costs is $50.00 (which covers up to 5 vendors, each vendor thereafter will be $10.00 each up to a maximum of $500.00).

The Business License Application is for the vendor that is not being sponsored by the ORGANIZER of the event. The cost for a business license is $25.00.

• Is there a meals tax?
Yes, the City of Fredericksburg has a 6% meals tax. If any food is to be sold a Meal Tax Registration and Monthly Remittance Form must be completed.

All Meals tax that is collected from the consumer by the FOOD VENDOR is due to the COMMISSIONER OF REVENUE’S office, as soon as possible after the event.
ALCOHOL – Alcohol sales are treated the same as the MEALS TAX with a 6% tax.

• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding licenses or taxes?
Sara Seitner, Excise Tax Department phone 540-372-1004 ext 216 or email for any questions concerning, Meals or Admissions tax.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a Special Event Application?
2. Do I need an Expression of Speech Event Permit?
3. What if it is a private event?
4. Do I need a Residential Block Party Permit?
5. What fees are required for my special event?
6. City Parks and Trails
7. Trash and Recycling
8. Do I need a Film Permit?
9. Street and/or Parking Lot Closures
10. Maps
11. Events with over 1,000 Estimated Guests
12. Events with over 2,000 Estimated Guests
13. Tents and Canopies
14. Moon Bounce, Inflatable Amusement Devices, Climbing Walls, and Stages
15. Food and Vendors
16. Alcohol
17. Generators
18. Charging Admission
19. Advertising
20. Do I need a noise ordinance waiver?
21. Security
22. Insurance
23. No Parking Signs and Barricades
24. Restrooms
25. General Requirements for Dumpster/Container/Toilet
26. Equipment Rental