Do I need a Residential Block Party Permit?

Any gathering of neighbors within a community in the city that wish to close streets for no more than 4 hours must submit a block party permit application.

• How do I submit a block party permit application?
The block party permit application can be found here.

• Do I need barricades for my block party?
Any event that will close a city street for any given amount of time will require the event organizer to obtain No Parking signs and City-approved Type 3 Barricades. These barricades can be rented from the Department of Parks, Recreation and Events. All block party organizers are responsible for picking up and returning barricades for their block party. Barricades can be reserved by submitting a Department of Parks, Recreation and Events Equipment Rental Form.

• Who can I contact if I have questions regarding filling out the block party permit application?
Please contact Heather Hughes at or at 540-372-1086 x307.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a Special Event Application?
2. Do I need an Expression of Speech Event Permit?
3. What if it is a private event?
4. Do I need a Residential Block Party Permit?
5. What fees are required for my special event?
6. City Parks and Trails
7. Trash and Recycling
8. Do I need a Film Permit?
9. Street and/or Parking Lot Closures
10. Maps
11. Events with over 1,000 Estimated Guests
12. Events with over 2,000 Estimated Guests
13. Tents and Canopies
14. Moon Bounce, Inflatable Amusement Devices, Climbing Walls, and Stages
15. Food and Vendors
16. Alcohol
17. Generators
18. Charging Admission
19. Advertising
20. Do I need a noise ordinance waiver?
21. Security
22. Insurance
23. No Parking Signs and Barricades
24. Restrooms
25. General Requirements for Dumpster/Container/Toilet
26. Equipment Rental