All persons with alarm systems protecting a premise in the City of Fredericksburg must have a valid alarm permit. To receive the alarm permit, fill out the alarm permit application or pick one up at the Police Records Office.
Police Alarm Permits are valid for one calendar year, expiring on December 31 of each year. Police Alarm Permits carry a $40 annual fee. During the first year ONLY of alarm use, the fee is prorated based on the month in which the alarm is installed and activated, as follows:
- January – March activation, $40.00 fee
- April – June activation, $30.00 fee
- July – September activation, $20.00 fee
- October – December activation, $50.00 fee ($10 for the quarter plus $40 for the next annual fee)
According to the City Ordinance, false alarms are determined over a calendar year. The ordinance sets the following scale of increasing fines for repeated false alarms:
- Third, fourth, and fifth false alarms - $50 each
- Sixth and seventh false alarms - $100 each
- Eighth and ninth false alarms - $250 each
- Tenth and subsequent false alarms - $500 each
City residents may appeal a fine or the denial/revocation of an alarm permit to the Police Department. To make an appeal, download the appeal form or pick one up at the Police Records Office. You may also e-mail the appeal or fax it to the Records Office at 540-372-1177.