The Clerk’s office cannot help you with preparing or correcting your file.
It is illegal. Va Code 19.2-392.2
The Clerk of Court maintains all land recording instruments including deeds and certificates of satisfaction for all property located in the City of Fredericksburg (zip code 22401).
LAND RECORDING REQUIREMENTS
It is the responsibility of the submitting party to correctly prepare the documents and instruments. If you have any questions please contact a licensed attorney.
RECORDING (MAIL OR PERSON)
- A VIRGINIA COVERSHEET IS REQUIRED: Only a Virginia Coversheet will be accepted. You must choose the Court from the drop down list and follow the link provided. The Clerk may not assist/create a coversheet for you.
- FEE CALCULATION: Use the Supreme Court deed fee calculator . Do not call the Clerk’s office to calculate fees.
- GPIN REQUIREMENT: Find GPIN here: GPIN webpage.
The City of Fredericksburg does not use Tax Map Numbers.
GPIN must be on the first page of each document.
GPIN must be in the Parcel Identification Number [PIN] and Tax Map Number fields of the coversheet
Tax Map Numbers can not appear anywhere on the coversheet.
- RECORDING HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- RECORDING BY MAIL: A Self Addressed Stamped envelope must be included for the return of your document. LAND RECORDS RESEARCH (IN OFFICE) Research may be done by you Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-4:00 pm in the records room. Computers and paper indexes are provided. Clerks will demonstrate how to use the available resources. Research must be done by you.
- Clerks are not researchers, title professionals, or lawyers. If you need assistance in interpretation of documents, legal procedure, or research you may wish to contact a title company or lawyer.
- The Circuit Court utilized Simplifile for E-Recording
- FEE CALCULATION: Use the Supreme Court deed fee calculator. Do not call the Clerk’s Office to calculate fees.
- GPIN Requirement: Find GPIN here: GPIN webpage
- The City of Fredericksburg does not use Tax Map Numbers
- GPIN must be on the first page of each document
- No Coversheet is required
RECORDING HOURS: Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
LAND RECORDS RESEARCH (OUT OF OFFICE)
Secure Remote Access (SRA)
Full Access: Virginia land records research from outside of the Clerk’s office is available remotely for a fee utilizing SRA. If interested, please print and complete both the Application and Terms of Agreement. Email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application for business (PDF)
- Application for individual subscriber or user (PDF)
- Terms of the agreement (PDF)
Limited Access: We are pleased to announce a new feature available within our statewide search tool free limited access to land records indexing (not the documents) for the 22401 zip code,
- Navigate to SRA website
- Select "Available Courts" link at the top
- Select Court
- We recommend either searching by GPIN or Name (Last, First)
*In accordance with 17.1-276(A) only the following agencies are exempt from SRA fees: The Office of the Attorney General, the Division of Debt Collection, the Department of Transportation, the Virginia Outdoors Foundation, the Department of Historic Resources, Department of Conservation and Recreation, Department of Forestry, Department of General Services, State Corporation Commission, Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority and the Department of Rail and Public Transportation shall be exempt from paying any fee for remote access to land records.
RECORDS AVAILABLE ONLINE WITH PAID SUBSCRIPTION
LAND RECORDS 1782-Present
FINANCING STATEMENTS 05/1994-Present
MARRIAGE LICENSES 1782-Present
LAND RECORD COPIES
Payment of filing and copy fees may be made by cash, personal check, certified check, money order or, with a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card. Make checks and money orders payable to: Clerk. The service fee for charges $50.00 and under will be $2.00. The service fee for charges over $50.00 will be assessed at 4%.