For calls and complaints related to animals, contact the Police Department at 540-373-3122, option 2.
The primary function of the Animal Control Unit is the enforcement of laws pertaining to animals under the Code of Virginia and the animal ordinances of the City of Fredericksburg.
Animals include, but are not limited to: dogs, cats, domesticated animals, birds, fowl and feral animals that come into the city. Wild animals that are not exhibiting abnormal behavior and are located outside of a dwelling are not covered under the functions of Animal Control in most circumstances. The disposal of dead animals located on City property is the responsibility of the Department of Public Works.
All incidents in which a person has been bitten by a domestic or feral animal must be investigated by the Animal Control Unit.
Fredericksburg contracts with Spotsylvania County to provide animal control services within the City limits.
The contract between the two localities includes the following provisions:
- A Spotsylvania Animal Control officer will be on-duty and available to respond for calls for service in the City from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., seven days a week, including holidays.
- A minimum of 80 percent of the calls for service answered by Spotsylvania Animal Control officers will have an arrival time of 30 minutes or less.
- Calls for service that originate in the City during the contracted hours will be accepted by the Fredericksburg E-911 Center and transferred to the Spotsylvania County E-911 Center for appropriate dispatch.
- Calls for service that occur 11:00 p.m. through 7:00 a.m. will be dispatched by the Fredericksburg E-911 Center and handled by the City's police officers.
- City police officers will respond immediately to all calls for service that are deemed to be life-threatening emergencies, regardless of the hour, and will remain on the scene until the arrival of a Spotsylvania County Animal Control officer.
- Stray dogs and animals impounded due to criminal investigation are housed at the Spotsylvania Animal Shelter. The phone number to the Spotsylvania Animal Shelter is 540-507-7459 and it is located off Hudgins Drive in the county. City residents may also surrender dogs and cats to the Spotsylvania Animal Shelter.