Architectural Review Board
The Fredericksburg City Council has adopted a historic preservation ordinance to maintain the unique character of downtown Fredericksburg. The purpose of the Architectural Review Board is to maintain the historic and architectural integrity of designated historic areas.
- Twice monthly
- Second Monday of each month for public hearing at 7:00 p.m.
- Fourth Monday of each month (as needed) at 7:00 p.m.
- Council Chambers
715 Princess Anne St.
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Architectural Review Board Meeting Streaming
Live streaming available during meetings and archived meeting videos are also available. View Meeting Stream
The Architectural Review Board is a panel of seven knowledgeable citizens appointed by the City Council to review submitted applications.
- Karen Irvin, Chair, 2nd Term: 01/01/2022 - 12/31/2025
- Helen Ross, Vice Chair, 1st Term: 01/01/2021 -12/31/2024
- Laura Galke, 1st Term: 05/10/2021-12/23/2024
- Adriana Moss, 1st Term: 01/01/2020 - 12/31/2023
- James Jarrell, 1st Term: 11/01/2021 – 10/31/2024
- DD Lecky, 1st Term: 02/07/2022 – 01/31/2025
- Kelly Penick, 1st Term: 02/07/2022 – 01/31/2025
The Historic District Ordinance requires that property owners within the district obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Architectural Review Board before adding on or making exterior alterations to their buildings or for any new construction in the district. A certificate is also required for any signs.
Applications are submitted to the Community Planning and Building Department. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Filing deadlines are established to allow sufficient time to process applications and comply with public notification requirements. Public notices will appear in The Free Lance-Star.