The Police Explorer program is for young adults between the ages of 14 and 20 who have an interest in a law enforcement career. Explorers will build character and develop leadership skills while serving their community alongside police officers.
The purpose of the Law Enforcement Explorer Program is to:
- Help young adults become mature and responsible citizens
- Help its members acquire an understanding of an adult occupational role
- Provide the opportunity to examine the law enforcement profession as a possible career
- Develop a permanent set of values
- Accept a more responsible social role
- Understand identity as a person
- Create a better understanding of law enforcement programs on the local, state, and national levels
- Create a better community and law enforcement relationship
- Create a better understanding of social relations between youth and adults of the community
- Create a better understanding between law enforcement and the youth of the community
Explorers will be introduced to several activities, including:
- Training - Explorers receive training in a wide range of law enforcement procedures such as traffic control, crowd control, crime prevention, investigative techniques, and court procedures
- Career - Explorers learn about career opportunities in law enforcement at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Community Service - Explorers will be involved in civic events, crime prevention outreach, and with personnel in the Police Department for a variety of non-enforcement activities
- Ride Alongs - Explorers may ride on a patrol with officers and observe law enforcement work first hand
The Explorer Program is a young adult program which recruits members, elects officers, and plans events based on the Program’s inventory. Adult advisors, consisting of Sworn Police Officers provides training and guidance for the Explorers.
An Explorer must be:
- A current resident of the City of Fredericksburg or enrolled in the City of Fredericksburg school system.
- Currently registered and attending high school. Explorers may continue to participate in the Explorer Program after graduation from high school, if proof of registration in college is provided, and adequate law enforcement courses are taken. The maximum age limit is 20 years of age. Explorers will be removed from the active status on their 21st birthday.
- Explorers must maintain a passing “C” grade average in their academic studies in high school.
- Explorers will be of good character and have no criminal or juvenile record.
To register for the Explorers Program or if you have any additional questions, contact Officer Gilworth at JGilworth@PD.Fredericksburgva.gov or at 540-376-2671.