One-Time Religious Celebrant

It is required that a Circuit Judge (not a Clerk) denies or grants a One-Time Religious Petitioners request to perform a marriage.

Required items to complete and file:

  1. Coversheet for Filing Civil Actions (PDF): (checking Marriage Celebrant in the 3rd column under Miscellaneous Heading)
  2. Petition (PDF)
  3. **Letter of good standing from the congregation with which you are in current communion.
  4. Proof of ordination
  5. Order (PDF)
  6. Filing fee: $61.00.

**Please note that if you obtained your ordination online, your certificate may not be recognized by the state of Virginia.

* Please note that this is not legal advice or representation. Any questions regarding this process, forms, and their completion should be directed to an attorney. The Clerk's office is prohibited from offering legal advice. (Code 19.2-392.2).

Payment of filing and copy fees may be made by cash, personal check, money order or, with a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card. Make checks payable to: Clerk of Court. Effective July 1, 2012, the following service fees will apply if using a VISA/MASTERCARD, credit/debit card: The service fee for charges $50.00 and under will be $2.00. The service fee for charges over $50.00 will be assessed at 4%.