Most Popular PagesBus Schedules
GIS & Maps
Parks and Recreation
Quick LinksCity Budget
City Manager's Reports
Daily Crime Reports
Special Events Planning
Going to the River
How to Use Our Site
Search Our Site
Building and Development Services
The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the Fredericksburg City Code require permits for all new construction, additions, installations, alterations/remodeling, demolition, change of uses, change of occupancy, movement of a lot line, removal or disturbing any asbestos, and work not specifically exempted by the code. Application for a permit shall be made to the Building Official and a permit shall be obtained prior to the commencement of any work. The Building Official may authorize emergency work to begin pending the receipt of an application.
Permit applications are accepted at our office or by mail
Permits may be issued to the following persons:
- Property owners or their legal agent must sign an affidavit that they are exempt from licensure.
Licensure Exemption Affidavit
- Contractors with a valid Virginia State Contractors License and valid City of Fredericksburg Business License.
A PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES:
- Installation of wiring and equipment, which operates at less than 50 volts, provided the installation is not located in a noncombustible plenum or penetrating an assembly required to have fire-resistance rating or are a component of any fire alarm/detection system.
- Construction of detached, single story, utility sheds not exceeding 150 square feet of building area, used as a tool or storage shed, playhouse or similar use, not accessory to Use Group F or H.
- Tents and air-supported structures that cover an area of 900 square feet or less, (aggregate area for multiple tents with < 20’ separation) AND with an occupant load of 50 or less.
- Fences and privacy walls that are not part of a building or pool area and are not over 6 feet in height.
- Swimming pools that have a surface area not greater than 150 square feet, do not exceed 5,000 gallons, and are less than 24 inches deep. (must meet all three requirements)
- Replacement of above-ground existing LP-gas containers of the same capacity in the same location utilizing the same piping.
NOTE: Permits are required for the installation or replacement of any and all fuel fired appliances.
7. Ordinary repairs that include the following
- Replacement of windows and doors that are not fire rated in a single family dwelling in Group R-5,
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures without alteration of the water supply and distribution systems, sanitary drainage systems, or vent systems,
- Replacement of general use snap switches , 125 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacles, or 125 volt light fixtures in single family dwelling units in R-3, R-4, & R-5 (single family dwellings),
- Replacement of unlimited amount of roof covering or siding in Groups R-3, R-4, & R-5 (single family dwellings) and 100 square feet or less of roof covering in all other groups,
- Replacement of 100 square feet or less of roof decking, that is not fire retardant treated or part of a rated assembly, in Groups R-3, R-4, & R-5 (single family dwellings),
- Installation or replacement of floor finishes in all occupancies,
- Installation of replacement cabinetry or trim in same location,
- Application of paint or wallpaper
NOTE: Changes to duct systems, plumbing supply, drain, waste and vent piping, electrical circuits, appliance vent systems and gas piping require a permit.
8. Retaining walls supporting less than 2 ft. of unbalanced fill and not attached to a wall.
9. Grade level patios and non-load bearing slabs not attached to a structure.
10. Recreational equipment not regulated by Virginia Amusement Device Regulation.
11. Equipment controlled by a publicly regulated utility service and located on property by established rights.
All other activities shall require a permit.
Please contact the Building and Development Services Department, prior to working, if you should have any questions regarding permitting. (540) 372-1080
General InformationOffice Location/Hours
Building InspectionsBuilding Codes
Third Party Inspections
General & Administrative
A & E Charts
Site DevelopmentSite Development
Preliminary Plan Meeting
Site Plan Submission
Site Plan Review/Approval
Chesapeake Bay Act
Design Standards Manual
ApplicationsCertificate of Occupancy
2009 Code ChangesIRC
IBC, VA Construction
IBC Chapters 7, 10, 11
USBC Chapter 1