Most Popular PagesBus Schedules
GIS & Maps
Parks and Recreation
Quick LinksCity Budget
City Manager's Reports
Daily Crime Reports
Special Events Planning
Going to the River
How to Use Our Site
Search Our Site
Building and Development Services
New Construction/Additions - 1 or 2 Family Dwelling
The Following Information is Required for all Building Permit Applications for New Single Family Dwellings:
- Four sets of signed and sealed engineered site plans for new homes
- Plot Plan for additions/decks
- A complete application listing all contractors including all licensing information.
- The estimated value of construction (materials and labor) for the work covered by this permit.
- The name and address of any Mechanics Lien Agent involved with this project.
- Two sets of complete building plans showing:
- The size, (thickness and width), depth and locations of all footings.
- The amount of unbalanced fill around the foundation walls.
- If a crawl space is to be used, show locations of all vents, access doors, and the height of the crawl space.
- Wall construction details including stud size and spacing, window and door header details, and exterior wall covering.
- Floor construction details including size, span, spacing and wood species of all floor girders, floor joist, and subfloor.
- Roofing details, including the size, span, spacing, slope and wood species of all rafters. If engineered roof trusses are to be used, indicate this on the plans.
- Riser height, tread depth and handrail information for all stairs.
- Sizes of all bedroom/sleeping room windows.
- Location of all fuel burning appliances and electric panels.
- Structural details of all decks, fireplaces, garages, carports and accessory buildings.
- For residential exterior deck construction, please refer to these guidelines.
- All plans must include the name, address and occupation of the person who prepared the plans.
General InformationOffice Location/Hours
Building InspectionsBuilding Codes
Third Party Inspections
General & Administrative
A & E Charts
Site DevelopmentSite Development
Preliminary Plan Meeting
Site Plan Submission
Site Plan Review/Approval
Chesapeake Bay Act
Design Standards Manual
ApplicationsCertificate of Occupancy
2009 Code ChangesIRC
IBC, VA Construction
IBC Chapters 7, 10, 11
USBC Chapter 1